[LMB] Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen personal review: Minor Spoilers

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:02:50 GMT 2018

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:34 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Gwynne: I can well understand, in a slightly different context, the joy of
> finding
> one's own kind, people who are on a particular and important wavelength.
> Lois does it so well because she's not writing about topics, she's writing
> about people.
>
> When I was teaching there were so many of those 'Susie has two fathers'
> books.
> The kids never liked them - too preachy. A book about Susie doing something
> really interesting, and then, oh right, she tells her dads about it, is
> very different.
> Lois's books are that second category - she's not writing about poly
> relationships,
> or certain sexualities, she's writing a darn good story that happens to
> have
> those as features. But they're not what it's about, they're just... a
> normal part
> of life.  And the story goes on.

This is what representation is about:  not having a story focused on the
characteristics of a person or people, but having those characteristics,
and the challenges that may bring, be a natural part of a story.  Aral
always appealed to me not because he was bisexual, but because he was a
strong and competent person who had faced adversity and not only overcame
it but stomped it to bits.  And he happened to be bisexual and we got to
see how that also added to the adversity he faced.  Cordelia is a lot of
what I look for in a partner: intelligent, strong willed when it is
important (there is a difference), competent (for those who don't know me,
competent is about the highest praise I give), and though female, not
particularly feminine.  Most of my female partners have had exactly those
traits.

So on GJatRQ, yes, the sexuality and relationship structure was woven into
and an integral part of the story, but the story was not about that, it was
about the influence one person had on those lives, how the echoes of that
person still carried forward, and ultimately, how as you put it, the story
goes on.  Though it is easy to be solipsistic, life overall is never about
one person, it is about the intertwining of the sum of people in a river
moving through time.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President