[LMB] GJ&RQ - New freedoms

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 13:36:33 GMT 2018

I'm jumping around a bit with this, looking at the book as a whole
as well as wandering through it again.

So, looking at the themes and ideas in the book, I realised that Kaya
Vorinnis is much more important than she seems at first. She's a
product of the new society that Cordelia and Aral created when they
sent those first replicators on to Barrayar.  Cordelia and Oliver are
using the technology to make their babies, but it's Kaya who's the
important one. She's planning her career, she's ambitious, she's
very capable - and she doesn't have to listen to the biological clock.
She's as free as all those men who did their twenty and then retired
from the military, got married and settled down to raise a family. With
the UR technology, Kaya can make the same plans. She has a freedom
that previous generations of women could only dream about.