[LMB] GJ&RQ - New freedoms

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sat Mar 17 18:35:03 GMT 2018

> On Mar 17, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm jumping around a bit with this, looking at the book as a whole
> as well as wandering through it again.
>
> So, looking at the themes and ideas in the book, I realised that Kaya
> Vorinnis is much more important than she seems at first. She's a
> product of the new society that Cordelia and Aral created when they
> sent those first replicators on to Barrayar.  Cordelia and Oliver are
> using the technology to make their babies, but it's Kaya who's the
> important one. She's planning her career, she's ambitious, she's
> very capable - and she doesn't have to listen to the biological clock.
> She's as free as all those men who did their twenty and then retired
> from the military, got married and settled down to raise a family. With
> the UR technology, Kaya can make the same plans. She has a freedom
> that previous generations of women could only dream about.

Yes, we have not at least since I joined this list discussed the “B” romances
as contrasted to the “A” romances (and anti romances), Starting with Cordelia
and Aral and Bothari and Elana, If circumstances could be switched could Elana
and Aral gotten together.?? Miles’ romances vs. Ivan’s. Ivan got to do a lot of
low comedy romances, including asking was it four or five sisters in the same day.
> --

__
Vilhjalmur Stefansson (1879 – 1962)