[LMB] OT: Who is reading what?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sun Mar 25 13:53:50 BST 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 3:57 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> And all this is in airy romances. Tortured children, people scrambling to
> survive, and women with few rights or protections. The more you read
> them, the more the background comes forward.

Right now one novel I’m reading is Neal Stephenson’s Quicksilver, and times were much worse then - even for the elite.  The depiction of various past times change with different authors and their eras.

> And the one thing that matters above all: Money. If you have enough
> money you can do what you like.

For instance, Heyer appears to like money better than class.  She has novels with intelligent rich men who are looked down on by old titled families (one of whom is named Miles).    But for most of that era, class matters more.    Which doesn’t mean she doesn’t make fun of ostentatiously rich non-protagonists...

Modern Regency novels also value people who read - after all their audience consists of readers.    The protagonist needs to have sufficient modern readers’ values.