[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 1 05:29:58 BST 2019

Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
> It would be really easy to be an atheist in belief.  The only common
> sign of the gods could be dismissed as deliberate or unconscious
> manipulation of animals, a la Clever Hans effects.

Anyone who can reliably control the behaviour of a basket of kittens
is hosting a miracle. :-)

But seriously, we don't have a lot of information about how clearly
the animals are signing the correct god.  In the case of dy Sanda, the
fox went right to him and plunked itself down, and the other animals
weren't interested: no ambiguity, and the expected result.  In Dondo's
case, the acolytes tried to push the animals to him, with embarrassing
results... but that was an atypical case.  Killed by death magic, all
puffy and weird, and his soul not merely sundered but physically trapped
inside Cazaril.  (The Bastard's rats kept running to him, in retrospect
something of a clue.)  We know from _Hallowed Hunt_ that the acolytes
are supposed to "amplify" the animals' behaviour if there isn't clarity,
but we don't know the details of how that lack-of-clarity looks.

Joel