[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 15:20:14 BST 2019

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 23:29:28 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:17:31AM -0700, Beatrice Otter wrote:
>
>> That is a very Christian-centric notion of what religion is, right
>> there, that it's belief.  Most religions, philosophies, and spiritual
>> systems throughout the world put more weight on things you do rather
>> than on what you think.  They are orthoprax (correct practice) instead
>> of orthodox (correct doctrine).  Christianity is deeply, deeply weird
>> in valuing belief over practice.  For example, there was a group of
>
>Though Islam has it too.  Rare by religion, but half the global
>population between the two of them. :)

Islam, I believe, expects more walking the walk;

2.1	First Pillar: Shahadah (Profession of Faith)
2.2	Second Pillar: Salat (Prayer)
2.3	Third Pillar: Zakat (Almsgiving)
2.4	Fourth Pillar: Sawm (Fasting)
2.5	Fifth Pillar: Hajj (Pilgrimage)

Though there are a lot of "geographical" Muslims, I suspect, who do as
little as they can get away with (in the same sense that I was a
geographical Christian at school).

--
As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of demand.