[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 15:22:44 BST 2019

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 23:29:28 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>> It's only from the Enlightenment onwards that we get people who fit
>> our modern definition of atheists
>
>Not at all sure that's true, especially since it was commonly fatal
>to be convicted of atheism.  *Skepticism* is certainly found long before
>the Enlightenment.  Carvaka were atheists in ancient India.  Epicureans
>nominally believed in something they called gods but that were radically
>different from anyone else's god, and that might as well have not
>existed, and disbelieved in an afterlife.

Epicurus himself was pretty skeptical:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not
omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

- Epicurus
--
As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of demand.