[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 1 17:28:58 BST 2019

On Wed, July 31, 2019 2:51 pm, Matthew George wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I wouldn't wish what happened to Horseriver on anyone---and I am known
>> for being a vindictive swine.  "It's not my fault!  I'm a tragic victim
>> of Corsican Alzheimer's---where you forget everything but the
>> vendettas!"

Horseriver certainly puts up a fine facade of "it's not my fault" ...
but just who agreed to bind his hallow kingship, and the souls of
all his followers, to the trees, holding them there away from the
gods, hmm?  He wanted his world the way it was, which is not in
itself a bad thing -- but the way he chose to try and get it had
horrible risks, and they fell due.  You don't get to claim total
innocence of the smash-up when you try drunk-riding a bicycle along
the edge of a cliff.

>> And I do think the Quintarians were out of line with that
>> whole "forcible conversion" thing---but I was never a big fan of that
>> anywhere.

There is that, but when you're suppressing practices that have a
known and definite risk of leaving people sundered from the gods,
that has to be thrown into the balance too.

As Ingrey points out, the history wasn't a tale of one-sided
and unprovoked Darthacan aggression either.

> There are subtle hints that the gods were indeed lending them assistance,
> and given that shamans have a much easier time making contact with the
> gods, it's striking that their pleas for help were ignored.

Yes.  Keep in mind that the end result of Horseriver's gambit was,
necessarily, souls unable to go to the Five at the end of their lives.
One can see that the gods would be concerned A LOT about that sort
of thing.

> I think the suggestion may be that the shamans were abusing their powers,
>  sundering people against the wills of themselves and the gods, and so
> the gods found humans capable of stopping the shamans and gave 'em a
> little boost.  That's merely my interpretation, though.

I think there's a good chunk of that going on.  One doesn't get quite
that vast a convocation of saints and sorcerors as Horseriver implies
were in the Darthacan train without some reason quite compelling to
the Five who empowered them.

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"