[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 20:48:17 BST 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:29 PM Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>
wrote:

> Though Islam has it too.  Rare by religion, but half the global
> population between the two of them. :)

I've always been told that Islam is orthopraxic, although clearly this
might vary across time, between sects, and even among individuals.

> And Quintarian religion makes
> me think of the role of Shinto and Buddhism in a lot of Japanese
> society: neither orthodox nor orthoprax, at least as a social
> obligation.  No one cares what you believe and, as far as I can tell, no
> one cares much whether you show up either, unlike the Romans.

But there are church taxes.

> I note that Palmer's first item is actually Quintarian doctrine.  To a
> degree, the second and third as well: the gods don't claim to have
> designed the world or the life forms in it.

While it can be difficult to judge someone's personal beliefs from their
fiction, it does seem clear that Our Host's religious convictions are not
trivially orthodox.

Matt G.