[LMB] Belief

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 2 01:24:20 BST 2019

"Walter Stuart Bushell" <proto at panix.com> wrote:
>> "Belief" is a word used many ways.   One can believe in gods but
>> ignore them.  People can go on with their lives never thinking (or caring)
>> about their afterlives nor other issues that the gods are interested in.
>
> Of course, so did Cazaril, just saying the prayers appropriate to his sex,
> age and position, probably by rote. Until the results of his saying he
> could be taken up by any deity or none.

I'm fairly sure that it wasn't just because he _said_ he could be
taken up etc.  That was a whole-hearted, despairing act of will by
someone _in extremis_.  It let the Daughter get her metaphorical
well-manicured toe in the door.  Think of Ista's view of dy Cabon,
towards the end of _Paladin of Souls_: a man whose will was cracking
enough to come close to letting his god in.

Joel