Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 2 09:42:29 BST 2019

As well as the Barr/Calla parallel, with both of them trying to ensorcel a
parther, I'm seeing a bit of a Bluebell/Fawn likeness, too.

Both of them pretty young farmer girls, late teens, impatient to move
on and up in life. Pushing against all the rules around them.

If Fawn had met up with a sweet-smiling, fast-taking Barr-ish Lakewalker,
might she have taken a chance with him instead of Stupid Sunny? She
had half-convinced herself that she and Sunny were going to be a couple,
but I never had the impression that she really cared for him all that much,
he was just what she had to hand at the time. She wanted the experience,
Sunny was simply the most convenient tool. (Ok several meanings there.
All valid.)  Maybe a charming Lakewalker would have been just as good?

Both girls grabbed at life, and fun, and experience. Both fell pregnant by it.
They took different paths to solve that problem. (If Fawn had told her
parents about the baby, would they have rustled up a suitable husband
for her?)

Side note: Fawn was SO fortunate that she didn't tell them at home, and
ended up married to Sunny. Imagine a lifetime of him, and his arrogance,
and always being blamed for 'trapping' him.

Actually, Fawn and Bell found different solutions, but each of those
solutions had the potential to be very happy indeed for all concerned.
Fawn's was. Bell... not so much. But then Fawn was honest, Bell lied.