[LMB] Orphans of Raspay vocabulary

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 08:29:00 BST 2019

From: Roberta Wright <ravenenterprises at gmail.com>

as the text elaborates, crow girl and crow boy are slang for prostitutes

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM Bill Masek <billmasek at comcast.net> wrote:

> I do not think this is a spoiler, but just in case.

> Lois uses the words crow-boy and crow-girl in the story.  I cannot find
> any definition for these words.  There is a children's book named
> crow-boy, but no (as far as I can find) definition.  My personal best
> theory is associating the spirit image of a crow (associated with the
> Bastard) with boy or girl.
> Any other thoughts.
> Thanks,
> Bill
> ps I liked it, surprise, surprise.

Gwynne: I'd guess that since crows and prostitutes both belong to the Bastard,
people have made a connection.  And since it's being used in a Roknari
region it would have a somewhat insulting connotation, surely. And
rather risky, or unsavoury, too.