[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 18:17:27 BST 2019

Reading his stuff and looking at his cartoons, I get the strong impression
that Thurber had...issues, shall we say?...with women in general.  Oddly
enough, my mother was the one that introduced me to Thurber.  And Philip
Wylie.  I've told a woman who grumbled about me quoting H.L. Mencken (to
whom Mom also introduced me) that "as long as I'm quoting Mencken, things
are all right.  If I go to Ambrose Bierce or Philip Wylie, batten down the
hatches!"