[LMB] What makes a character irredeemable?

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sat Aug 3 18:28:24 BST 2019

It's like a joke about lightbulbs, isn't it?  First, a  bulb must  WANT to
be changed ...
Dondo denied it was dark.
Bothari ... chose to be otherwise.  Not, perhaps, a creature of sweetness
and light. But changed.  He wanted to change, he sought help and direction
about the change, he was instructed -- blood washes away sin -- and he took
on, begged for, a new and changed task.  "Let me help."
In the 5GU where "death magic" and "miracles of justice" are, if not
commonplace, subjects for replication studies -- I wonder about other
related sacrificial rites.  In particular a rite where a desperate
worshiper begs the Mother of Summer: "I freely offer my life and soul now,
and beg You heal my beloved."  Or even: "Take my life now, but ease and end
my beloved's suffering." There are certainly enough such desperate prayers
offered up in other universes to other gods that we can be sure the proposal
has been made in the 5GU.

But then I imagine a worshiper who, granted the boon and tasked to some
new mission decreed by the generous god -- chooses to renege.  "Hell no,
I said I'd do anything but I sure as hell never meant going to NINEVEH!"
Or whatever.

I think, perhaps, breaking a convenient might be grounds for irredemption.
Or it might amuse Great Powers to demonstrate that free will IS free but
not quite AS free as the free-willed would like.