Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Aug 5 02:25:53 BST 2019

> On Aug 4, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 06:24:21PM -0300, Federico Bergstein wrote:
>> A problem with that is that Barr never really paid for his crime, (I think,
>
> What would payment mean?
>
>> perhaps the voyage to the sea could be considered punishment? but not
>> enough)
>> I think that if Barr was in my life I would want him far away.
>
> And Bluebell asked for just that, which limits his ability to "pay" her
> back in compensation.

The question of “paying for one’s crime” can either be compensation, or punishment (with a flavor of revenge).    Different societies put different emphases on what they value.

A third aspect of punishment is in making sure that the perpetrator is no longer a threat.   That doesn’t involve “paying for one’s crime” so much.