Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 07:39:43 BST 2019

From: Federico Bergstein <almirantenaismith at gmail.com>

A problem with that is that Barr never really paid for his crime, (I think,
perhaps the voyage to the sea could be considered punishment? but not
enough)
I think that if Barr was in my life I would want him far away.

Gwynne: Barr does pay, but not in ways we'd use in this world. Bluebell asks
him to stay away, so he accepts that he'll most likely never know his child. He
organises his time to pay secret visits to monitor her, but his family don't know
about his child, he can't claim her or share information about her. It condemns
him to a rather lonely vigil, and an ongoing sense of loss.

Then when she throws to the Lakewalker side, he has to take responsibility, he
has so many decisions to make, the embarrassment and humiliation of
everyone knowing about his mistake (one more in a litany they won't let him
forget, just at a time  when he thought he'd proved that he'd outgrown his
earlier mistakes.)

And above all he has so many worries about making the right decisions for
this amazing person, and the frustration and worry about her future, getting
her accepted, and all of it. And this hits him in one blow, without time to
plan or practice or learn.

Barr is also late to find a partner, for a patroller. His family have been
pressuring him for some years about it. Maybe that seed of guilt and loss is
holding him back from making other emotional commitments (he finds a
partner pretty quickly after Lily goes public.)

So Barr pays in loss, and stress, and shame. He pays by having his life subtly
twisted in ways he can't explain to others. He pays by doing what Bell wants,
not what he'd like to do.