Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:06:19 BST 2019

From: Federico Bergstein <almirantenaismith at gmail.com>

I am not sure those things can be considered "paying" for it, or to say it
in another way, we *know* he paid for it, and he will never do it again and
he's very ashamed.
But we *know* those things because we are inside his head. If we were
people *inside* the story, without knowing what he feels and thinks, we
would be very wary of him and perhaps even think him as an unpunished
rapist.

Gwynne: I know that when we heard that story when we first met Barr in the
saga, I was very put off by it, and didn't like the character at all. For a long time.
It wasn't until his Ruth moment, when Barr chose to stay with Dag and Remo
went back, that I started to see something more in him, he learned a great
deal from Dag, and from Fawn, and he really did improve over time.

Remo, OTOH, really didn't grow much. He was a fairly good person from the
start, but rather immature and gloomy, and he didn't show so much development.
He was a nice guy, and always will be, but without much drive or vision.  By
comparison Barr started a LOT lower, but he did learn a great deal more, and
he did improve. And in KC he has so many echoes of Dag, you can see how
much he learned, and how he uses that knowledge.