[LMB] OT: Language

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:54:17 BST 2019

Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2019, at 23:57, Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now you're recommending KITTEN pizza? Just wait till I tell Ivan about
>> this latest culinary perversion?you know how he feels about kittens.

Over the time of the books, Ivan seems to have shifted from "they're
cute little things that must be rescued/protected" to "furry verminoids
that live to shed hairs on Imperial uniforms, but they're useful props
for picking up women".  Or it might just be situational: cute when
they need rescuing, otherwise to be avoided unless useful.

> This made me wonder, do Betans eat strange meats since they are all vat
> protein anyway? Like kitten or puppy (many in Asia already eat those)?

See Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Food of the Gods".

Joel