[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 23:34:05 BST 2019

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:53 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> When Barrayar was rediscovered after so long isolated, I wonder what words
> that the Barrayarans used freely were "taboo" in the greater Nexus---and
> vice versa?

The Greater Nexus seems to have left behind concerns which Barrayar had to
redevelop because of its isolation.  Sexuality is remarkably open, not only
sexism and racism but all kinds of body concerns are disapproved.
Generally I don't think the Nexus has taboos in quite the same way most
societies do - I don't think there's much you can say on Beta which is
shocking in itself, rather than because of what the language is talking
about.