[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 01:12:31 BST 2019

Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Greater Nexus seems to have left behind concerns which Barrayar had to
> redevelop because of its isolation.  Sexuality is remarkably open, not only
> sexism and racism but all kinds of body concerns are disapproved.
> Generally I don't think the Nexus has taboos in quite the same way most
> societies do - I don't think there's much you can say on Beta which is
> shocking in itself, rather than because of what the language is talking
> about.

Ethan's experiences on Kline Station were of pretty nasty homophobia
-- not "you're weird, but whatever floats your boat" or "I really
hate being solicited", but active disgust and impending violence.
Beta would have been different, of course.  I don't think we've got data
apart from that.  Jackson's Whole would be "whatever you can afford,
we can supply", but that's a different thing, basically no taboos of
any kind in certain quarters.

Joel