M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 01:12:51 BST 2019

There seems to be some confusion about whether Barr
used beguilement on Bluebell. Here's the text:

The same beguiling persuasion that worked on animals worked on farmers,
he’d heard, and, encountering that pretty young farmer girl when his patrol
had camped on her family’s land, he’d been more than tempted to try it out.
Bluebell hadn’t been unwilling.  He’d not mistaken those artful glances of
admiration she’d cast his youthful good looks.  From admiration to arousal
turned out to be but a step, and a step more from there to the loft of her father’s
barn.
Bujold, Lois McMaster. Knife Children (The Sharing Knife series) . Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

I think it's clear that Barr succumbed to temptation, and that's one reason
why he feels extra guilty about the birth of Lily.

Gwynne asks if Dag was wrong to use beguilement on the clerk (Whit and Berry's marriage)
. I think it's quite obvious from the
text that *Dag* himself thinks it's wrong, but it's a minor thing -- he worries
about the slippery slope like any good ethical person, but in this case,
it's a minor evil that resulted in a greater good for his party. He also
resolves never to do it again, I believe, or at least not to slip so easily.

Micki