Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Aug 6 03:46:18 BST 2019

On Mon, August 5, 2019 1:54 am, Gwynne Powell wrote:
<re Barr>
> Gwynne: I think he tried a touch of suggestion on Fawn, but the response
> to that cured him of trying it ever again. He does ask Fid if he'd like
> Barr to use Lakewalker healing on his burns, he doesn't just launch into
> it.

I think we can say that he has at least learned some lessons and
become a better person.

> But then Dag gives a push to the clerk when Whit and Berry are getting
> married; once again a Lakewalker uses their power to force a farmer to do
> something that they weren't going to do. And the clerk is a lot clearer
> in his 'No' than Bell was in hers, I think. Was Dag wrong in that case?
> And is it better or worse than Barr and Bell?

That's one thing I felt was not well-resolved in _Horizon_ -- that
point about the ethics of suggestion.  To be sure, the clerk was
being (mostly) needlessly obstructive.  But Fawn spotted that there
were issues, and then the question ... just doesn't get brought up
again.  Though there is the discussion with Callie about the ethics
of _her_ attempt, but it doesn't really resolve the issue.

It's still a latent issue waiting for a story of its own, I suppose.

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"