M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 04:06:37 BST 2019

    On Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:08:34 AM GMT+9, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

 Dag didn't figure out beguilement, he figured out the accidental version
that came from healing farmers.

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 12:52:52AM +0000, M. Haller Yamada wrote:

> I will note that Execution, castration, and horsewhipping don't seem to
> prevent rapists from raping. Imprisonment seems to confine the raping

It probably stops a lot of them. No system is perfect.

The chance of getting caught seems to deter people from crimes more than
the severity of punishment. If getting caught is unlikely then there'll
always be someone willing to take the risk.

--Micki: It would be an interesting study. But I don't think criminals in a passion really think about "what if I get caught". If they think aboutpunishment at all, it seems to be more along the lines of "I won't getcaught" or "I'll be the one to beat the system" or . . . and I know I'm skating on thin ice here, "I'm going to commit suicide right after I dothis nasty thing, so punishment by society means nothing to me."
Of course, I also believe in "locks keep honest people honest" but at a lot of criminal levels, we have societal "locks" that keep potentialrapists from raping. From Ivan's "that's just wrong" gut instinct(note: he was a young louse who evolved) to "I'll lose my reputation"or "If I puff on this, I'll never get to be president" which are dependentupon the morals and laws of the time, I guess.
I'm not totally opposed to the idea of executing rapists, but I do thinka wrongful execution is a bad thing, too.
Micki