Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 08:30:37 BST 2019

Getting a few things straight....

I think we need to make sure we're using the right terms; beguilement
is when a Lakewalker has used their power on someone and didn't finish
the process properly, so that the victim has an uncontrollable urge to
reconnect.

This can happen after a healing, or when someone has tried to implant a
suggestion. It doesn't usually happen between Lakewalkers, because their
grounds are open to each other and they rebalance after the contact.
It can happen with farmers because Lakewalkers tended to close off from
them and not accept the energy from them.

Barr implanted a suggestion in Bluebell, or tried to. But there's no evidence
at all of beguilement; she doesn't want any more contact with him, there's
no stories of her desperately trying to run away to get to him, or attempted
suicide, or simply pining away; all of which are used as examples of beguilement
in action. Bell has the shock of a serious problem and deals with it, there's
no attempt to find Barr, and she obviously doesn't feel any joy at seeing him.

OK, I've just gone back to the source and reread the section where Remo talks
about the Bluebell episode. They're working on beguilement, and it's mentioned
that Patroller healing is generally like to like (we see that earlier where Dag
heals Saun from the blow to the chest, and after the miscarriage when he can't
do full healing on Fawn, and asks Mari to do some.)  Remo says that Barr
tried to transfer arousal from his genitals to Bluebell's. (Showing a huge lack
of knowledge about women.)

Considering Barr's lack of skills, the lack of knowledge involved, and the differences
in the body parts, it's likely that Barr's efforts weren't all that relevant to the
outcome. It doesn't reduce his skeeviness in any way, but I doubt that Bell was
seriously impacted by it. Dag's not all that impressed with the standard of the
suggestion he was trying to plant in Berry, either. (Which wasn't for sex; he
thought that Remo was staying because he was sweet on Berry, and wanted to
push her to dump him.)