Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 16:25:30 BST 2019

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

> On Aug 5, 2019, at 9:06 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --Micki: It would be an interesting study. But I don't think criminals in a passion really think about "what if I get caught". If they think aboutpunishment at all, it seems to be more along the lines of "I won't getcaught" or "I'll be the one to beat the system" or . . . and I know I'm skating on thin ice here, "I'm going to commit suicide right after I dothis nasty thing, so punishment by society means nothing to me."

The same thing occurs to people who are tempted to have extramarital affairs, or who take too-long of work breaks, or who do stuff embarrassing such as running to the garage in their underwear.   The thought processes are similar even though the consequences are very different.

Gwynne: It can be a deterrent. One kid was often telling his teacher
(my brother) about all the things his big brother was doing; stealing
cars, burglaries, shoplifting. Even if he was caught, he'd go to childrens'
court for the under-18's and get away with a minor or suspended
sentence. One day my brother asked him how the big brother was
going, there hadn't been any tales for a while: no, the brother hadn't
done anything wrong lately. Why? "Because he turned 18. It'd be
adult court now."

So yes, it can be a deterrent.