[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Tue Aug 6 21:31:44 BST 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Mieke wrote:
>> That is interesting. Do you have any examples?
> I know of societys or times that it was ‘not done’. But actually prohibited...?

There were numerous sumptuary laws in the Middle Ages into the 18th
century that forbade exactly that.

Also in ancient Rome only Senators could wear a purple stripe on their
toga.

Lots more in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law

http://www.lordsandladies.org/sumptuary-laws-middle-ages.htm

https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/law/law/sumptuary-laws

http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-sumptuary-laws.htm

https://www.britannica.com/topic/sumptuary-law

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"I am not avoiding reality when I read fiction; I am strengthening my ability to cope with reality."
- Roxane Gay, in her introduction to The Best American Short Stories, 2018