[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Aug 6 21:39:42 BST 2019

On 8/6/19 1:46 PM, Matthew George wrote:
> And there are no sumptuary laws.  In some places/times it was illegal to
> wear costly clothing that was "beyond one's station".  Imagine being
> prohibited from wearing a tuxedo or evening gown because you weren't
> high-status enough!

Seems that I recall reading about some US state that wanted to make a
law prohibiting people from wearing uniforms of jobs they were not
actually doing. Military uniforms and decorations only for active
military and veterans. Police uniforms only for police. Nurse and doctor
outfits only for nurses and doctors. Etc.

I don't know what the result of that was.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil