[LMB] Birthday Tixie: Announcement for the List Beatriz from Spain 11 July

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 23:10:23 BST 2019

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 3:03 PM Beatriz Esparza Echávarri
<besparzae at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
> Good for your daughter, I myself speak english, french and german, plus my
> mother language, spanish. I like english especially.
>
> Sorry I didn't get the bottom part of your message is It dime kind of joke?
>
> <Squawk> Pieces of eight!
>  <Squawk> Pieces of eight!
>  <Squawk> Pieces of nine!
>  <SYSTEM HALTED: parroty error!>

Yes, it's a joke. The first part of the joke is that parrots are
generally supposed to say "Squawk! Pieces of eight!" This is from
their association with pirates in popular culture.

The second part of the joke is that the parrot accidentally says
"Pieces of nine" instead of "Pieces of eight." In a computer context,
being off by one like that could constitute a "parity error." So the
pun is on "parrot" and "parity error."

Luke