[LMB] I'm misunderstanding beguilement?

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 02:48:09 BST 2019

Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine was convinced that the last books Terry Pratchett
> wrote were radically different because his dementia was corroding
> his personality.  I felt that any changes in his style were likely to
> his knowing that he was a beloved author who was both dying and known
> to be dying, and so no longer felt the need to comply with arbitrary
> censorship conventions, since anything coherent he wrote would end
> up published.  My knowledge of Pratchett's reports on the development
> of his specific case was a factor - but who could tell?

I found that in his last few books, all of the protagonists sounded
kind of the same -- they all had the same "voices" when they spoke,
oh yes!  For example, they all had the "blah blah, oh yes!" pattern.
I mentioned this to his agent (IIRC?), who attributed it to the
manuscripts having being tidied up by Pratchett's assistant.

Joel