[LMB] Welcome Beatriz!

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 03:40:23 BST 2019

I would suggest strongly that you start out with a small local convention,
and go with some people you already know.  Worldcon (before I swore them
off in a rage) was something I found a bit overwhelming, and I'm a
seasoned, salted old veteran of many, many conventions.  And part of the
problem was that I was all alone there, and it did get a bit lonesome
sometimes.  It's nice to have people you know, and preferably people who
share your interests, along to talk to.

There are panel discussions and informal classes on many things related to
the field, usually (in my experience) an art show with both professional,
semi-professional and amateur artists showing their work, costumes both in
the halls and at the formal masquerade show (Worldcon-level costuming is
fully as good as the best professional work), displays of objects of
interest, music, and parties, both in people's rooms and in the main party
venue, known as the "con suite."  And, lest I forget, a "huckster room,"
with all sorts of things for sale.  I could easily spend several thousand
dollars (US) in the huckster room of a Worldcon.