[LMB] Language drift on Barrayar

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 09:25:08 BST 2019

From: Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>

Beatrice Otter
I would think it would be the opposite, actually.? Because if it's something you can absolutely no argument choose, then you are CHOOSING to be $thing, whatever $thing is disfavored.? I would think there would be pressure to change whatever it was in you that society didn't like, whether that was skin or hair or sexuality or whatever.? Someone is choosing to be [fill in the blank], therefore they are choosing to do/be a bad thing, therefore it is Right and Proper and Just to treat them like hell because they are not conforming.
Beatrice

Gwynne: Most prejudice these days is based on 'Everyone in that culture/
nationality/religion/colour/gender/etc is ..... ' If the colour, gender, etc is
a reversible choice, then it's harder to apply a general blanket prejudice.
You could say 'I don't like that colour/shape/etc', but then it becomes more
of an artistic and aesthetic preference, not some deeply negative judgement
of a connected group of people; it's like looking at the colour someone painted
their house, or the furniture they chose, rather than making a classification of
the worth of an entire group of people.

And yes, if you've chosen an unfavoured preference then you could be judged,
even face bias; but it's against you personally for an active decision, not against a
whole group simply because they were born that way.