[LMB] Prejudice on Barrayar

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 17:17:05 BST 2019

From: Lorelei Kaena <lorelei.kaena at gmail.com>

Everyone would have been needed to help do anything. Do you know how much time it takes to make cloth?
That?s the answer to some of your questions about children, the elderly, and disabled. Cloth production from raw fiber is time consuming but nearly everyone can do each step.
Then there?s watching the kids. Why have an able-bodied woman in the house who can be working a field when a elderly or disabled person or people can ride herd on the kids? That?s why the living in family groups. It?s simple social dynamics.
They?ve found disabled, healed Neanderthals, who had obviously lived with their conditions but were useless to the group. We aren?t baseline savages.
Turlach

Gwynne: As I said on a previous post, that's true. But not relevant.
People make decisions in a panic, for personal rather than long-term
reasons, and do whatever they think is right at the time.

SOME of the injured/disabled could do those jobs. And probably did.
But some had a very long healing time, or high medical needs, and
the resources to do that simply weren't there. And over time it became
accepted that they just couldn't be supported, because it's less
shattering to live with a code than to have to make each decision
personally.

Kou notes that someone with his injuries would be expected to commit
suicide. And that's probably from a long tradition. To help your family,
you'd be expected to do what had to be done. And isolated events became
the custom, long after there was need for it.

And we have to factor in that many injuries and conditions were due to
radiation, or to genetically-damaging native flora. So that we're talking
about a large percentage of the population, and pretty severe conditions.