[LMB] OT: Pratchett's Final Works (Was: Re: I'm misunderstanding beguilement?)nt?

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 21:16:55 BST 2019

I don't think anyone would disagree that his last four books were not the best things he'd ever written but I think each character still had a strong voice and characterisation didn't suffer from The Enbuggerment. I think that what really suffered was plot. From dealing with major events on the Disc, we kind of slide sideways into the effects of ongoing progress.  Which is a fruitful source of tension, don't get me wrong, but is somewhat less of a dramatic event than, e.g., the ascension of the first known-to-be-female Low King.
Raye

Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

  On Thu., 8 Aug. 2019 at 4:55, Matthew George<matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:   On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 9:49 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I found that in his last few books, all of the protagonists sounded
> kind of the same -- they all had the same "voices" when they spoke,
> oh yes!  For example, they all had the "blah blah, oh yes!" pattern.
> I mentioned this to his agent (IIRC?), who attributed it to the
> manuscripts having being tidied up by Pratchett's assistant.

Supposedly his Alzheimer's was manifesting mostly towards the back of his
brain in the visual centers rather than the executive-controlling frontal
lobes.  But I don't think anyone who didn't have direct contact with him
really knows what changes to personality and cognition really took place.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to raye_j at yahoo.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk