[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 171, Issue 35

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 01:09:15 BST 2019

> On Aug 7, 2019, at 8:14 AM, Doug Weinfield <douglasw at his.com> wrote:
>
> Watch your priors-I’m pretty sure there has been research on the role of non-reproducing “uncles” in providing support for group genetic fitness.

And post menopausal women.

But the limiting factor in population growth is the number of fertile women. One man could - in theory - father a hundred or more babies, but one woman could only gestate, at most, with luck, support, and good nutrition, 15 or 20. I recall learning that studies done on a population that had good nutrition and medical care, and did not use contraceptives (Amish), average number of children was 5. Factor in early Barrayar’s condition with borderline nutrition and high mutation rate, and maintaining population size was a challenge. Every woman who could have babies, needed to.

 Against anyone not heterosexual - because all healthy people were
>> needed to breed, they had a limited gene pool and a high level of
>> mutations and problems.

Janet in TN