[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 171, Issue 35

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 12:35:23 BST 2019

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:42:36 -0400, Lorelei Kaena
<lorelei.kaena at gmail.com> wrote:

>Everyone would have been needed to help do anything. Do you know how much time it takes to make cloth?
>
>That’s the answer to some of your questions about children, the elderly, and disabled. Cloth production from raw fiber is time consuming but nearly everyone can do each step.
>
>Then there’s watching the kids. Why have an able-bodied woman in the house who can be working a field when a elderly or disabled person or people can ride herd on the kids? That’s why the living in family groups. It’s simple social dynamics.
>
>They’ve found disabled, healed Neanderthals, who had obviously lived with their conditions but were useless to the group. We aren’t baseline savages.

Except not "useless", as you detailed in your previous paragraphs. OK,
they couldn't hunt, and perhaps even gather, but they could chew skins,
knap flint, watch kids (and pots).

--
"The future is here already.  It's just unevenly distributed."  - William Gibson