Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 12:56:15 BST 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 08:54:39 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>> The chance of getting caught seems to deter people from crimes more than
>> the severity of punishment. If getting caught is unlikely then there'll
>> always be someone willing to take the risk.
>>

>> --Micki: It would be an interesting study. But I don't think criminals
>
>I believe it *has* been studied.

It's complex, and in some ways counter-intuitive.  There's a lot of
evidence that poor impulse control, lack of empathy, and a poor
understanding of consequences are common in criminals.  I used to live
in the same street as a known burglar.  While he was out "working" one
night, someone turned his place over.  He was *livid* - totally unable
to make the conceptual link.  Everyone else in the street thought it was
hilarious, though not to his face (poor impulse control, remember?).

As an example of the nature of his thought processes - he wanted to
knock two rooms together.  A sensible person would have put in an RSJ to
support the wall above the aperture: this guy just got a brick-cutter
and cut an archway through, and plastered the exposed surface.  It
didn't fall down (not while I was living there, anyway) but Building
Control would have had kittens.

Part of it is: "It can't happen to me!" - criminals often over-estimate
their chances of getting away with it.

And there's even a bizarre wish to be caught (or risk being caught) in
some - notoriously, serial killers have been known to move from
jurisdictions with no death penalty to ones that have it.

Perhaps in some subtle way, the notoriety is what they crave, and it's
more of a gamble if the odds are higher?
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, even if you are soggy
and hard to light.   - Jaimie Vandenbergh