Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 12:58:33 BST 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 08:54:39 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>> nothing to me."  Of course, I also believe in "locks keep honest
>> people honest" but at a lot of criminal levels, we have societal
>
>Locks also keep lazy potential criminals honest.  In general raising the
>cost of X lowers the amount of X.  Raise the cost of crime, including
>the cost of committing it in the first place, get less crime.

Good locks make the lazy criminal pick somewhere with cheap locks.  No
security is impossible to beat, it's just a matter of raising the
inconvenience level and reducing the payoff.

(I always try to park next to more expensive cars).
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, even if you are soggy
and hard to light.   - Jaimie Vandenbergh