Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 13:00:22 BST 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 09:25:16 -0400, "Walter Stuart Bushell"
<proto at panix.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 03:06:37AM +0000, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
>>>     On Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 11:08:34 AM GMT+9, Damien Sullivan
>>> <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The chance of getting caught seems to deter people from crimes more
>But I think for the average
>> person, most felony penalties collapse into "my life is fucked"; in some
>> sense 5 years in prison is better than life in prison but it's not a
>> tradeoff I'd want to be making.
>
>But a least in America, that is a choice many people are forced to make.
>Going to trial is very costly if you are convicted and many are convicted,
>often by prosecutors misconduct. judges allowing perjured testimony,
>testilying and so forth. Hence a deep curse may you be prosecuted for a
>capital crime and may you be innocent.

It's sadly not much better here: I'm currently reading "The Secret
Barrister", an excoriating critique of the UK legal system from the
inside.
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, even if you are soggy
and hard to light.   - Jaimie Vandenbergh