[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 171, Issue 35

Lorelei Kaena lorelei.kaena at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 16:21:41 BST 2019

Keep in mind I do this as a hobby. The New York Sheep & Wool has a ‘Fleece to Sweater’ (knitting, not weaving, which is really the topic here) in a few hours. But that’s still 1lb of raw wool to be combed or carded (depending on breed) after its been skirted (all the dirtiest stuff carefully picked or cut out, we’ll leave the washing out, they’d have wanted the lanolin).
https://youtu.be/3U3fWNJLVyw

Then you drop or wheel spin the fiber. For weaving, you need it plied and pretty fine (look at your clothes, at each thread—they’re made up of several ‘plies’). (Vid shows plying first, then some awesome spinning with manual color changes. Imagine when this was all done with spindles.)
https://youtu.be/B0bM8Qn7WJE

So then you transfer to holding bobbins until you have enough to warp whatever loom you’ve managed to build (or tablet weave), pray you got the weights and yarn right, and (I’ve done this but not anymore, I have EDS and it’s hell on the shoulders):
https://youtu.be/rOJcdmBhjBE

Turlach