[LMB] OT: Making a dress

Pruehs, Ree RPruehs at BROOKSUPG.COM
Thu Aug 8 16:35:23 BST 2019

And Jason Long wrote:

>How cool! What would be your estimate of the time required to make a
>shirt or dress from start to finish? And do you find it more efficient to
>organize your workflow in stages (all the fiber processing in one stage,
>spinning thread in another, etc.) or to do it more-or-less in one continuous
>process?

I can kindasorta answer this one because a friend of mine did it. Some of it, at least.

For her senior class project for her degree in textile arts from Michigan State, she started with a really beautiful brown fleece and:

Carded the wool
Spun half the thread she needed with a spinning wheel
Warped the loom (I believe with the thread she spun)
Wove the cloth (using purchased thread for the weft)
Felled the cloth in her bathtub
Drafted a pattern
Made a simple cotehardie using a sewing machine

Total time spent: 2000 hours. Minimum wage US at the time was $3. She used to call that cotehardie her $6000 dress.