[LMB] OT: Pratchett's Final Works (Was: Re: I'm misunderstanding beguilement?)nt?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:57:09 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:41 AM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> >I don't think anyone would disagree that his last four books were not the
> best things he'd ever written but I think each character still had a strong
> voice and characterisation didn't suffer from The Enbuggerment. I think
> that what really suffered was plot. From dealing with major events on the
> Disc, we kind of slide sideways into
> the effects of ongoing progress.  Which is a fruitful source of tension,
> don't get me wrong, but is somewhat less of a dramatic event than, e.g.,
> the ascension of the first known-to-be-female Low King.

I think what the last four books missed most of all was another few months
of brushing up and sanding away the rough edges.

There was just _no time_, and everyone knew it, from Sir PTerry to the
publishers to the fans.
Better 4 almost-mediocre books than 1 really good book?

Has anyone been following on Mark Reads? He's been reading Discworld books
"first time! unspoiled!" for more than 2 years now, and every once in a
while he says, It can't get better than this.  And then it does.  And he's
almost at the point where the embuggerance kicks in, and no, it does not
get better after this.

Sylvia