[LMB] OT: Language

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 20:03:27 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:26 PM Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:

> > Or if vat pork was grown without a split hoof, is it still unclean?
> >
> Harry Turtledove, "The R Strain", published in a couple of his collections.
>
> Tony Z

*google, google*  https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/The_R-Strain
well, there's the plot twist I was expecting.

he story is set in the 21st century. A biotech company Genetic Enterprises
<https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Genetic_Enterprises> reveals its latest
product: a genetically engineered pig
<https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Pig_(The_R-Strain)>that was a ruminant,
hence the name "R-Strain <https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/R-Strain_(pig)>".
This meant that the R-strain would absorb more nutrients from its feed
since "cud crewing" allowed better digestion. As a consequence, the pigs
would gain weight faster and could be brought to market sooner, earning the
farmers a bigger return.
That immediately engenders a religious and philosophical question: Since
the R-strain chews its cud, is it kosher? The company turns to Rabbi Aaron
Kaplan <https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Aaron_Kaplan> to answer the
question.