Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 21:00:20 BST 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

>  Ahem. I must politely disagree that the only way to succeed as a lawyer
> is sociopathy.

Well, there certainly are legal specialties where it would be no particular
advantage.  But any function in which a lawyer must represent a client and
their interests in adversarial competition with others' interests involves
traits associated with sociopaths.  Predators that cannot understand how
their prey thinks are spectacularly unsuccessful.  Predators that
experience their prey's pain are, also.  Actors, politicians (usually from
a legal background), doctors - especially doctors.

Matt "two meanings of empathy" G.