Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Thu Aug 8 21:15:59 BST 2019

 I'll grant you that uncontrolled empathy would make the practice of many kinds of law very difficult. But it's quite the leap from "must not be more compulsively empathic than most people" to "is likely to be a sociopath."
I almost didn't respond in the first place because I doubted the statement was meant entirely seriously -- but I'm starting to wonder.
Karen ("let's kill all the lawyers" was not said by a good guy)
    On Thursday, August 8, 2019, 04:00:57 PM EDT, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 3:33 PM Karen A. Wyle <kawyle at att.net> wrote:

>  Ahem. I must politely disagree that the only way to succeed as a lawyer
> is sociopathy.

Well, there certainly are legal specialties where it would be no particular
advantage.  But any function in which a lawyer must represent a client and
their interests in adversarial competition with others' interests involves
traits associated with sociopaths.  Predators that cannot understand how
their prey thinks are spectacularly unsuccessful.  Predators that
experience their prey's pain are, also.  Actors, politicians (usually from
a legal background), doctors - especially doctors.

Matt "two meanings of empathy" G.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kawyle at att.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk