Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 23:54:07 BST 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46 PM Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:

> That's one thing I felt was not well-resolved in _Horizon_ -- that
> point about the ethics of suggestion.  To be sure, the clerk was
> being (mostly) needlessly obstructive.  But Fawn spotted that there
> were issues, and then the question ... just doesn't get brought up
> again.  Though there is the discussion with Callie about the ethics
> of _her_ attempt, but it doesn't really resolve the issue.
>
> It's still a latent issue waiting for a story of its own, I suppose.

Possibly the author felt it was more important to get readers to ask the
question than to provide an answer.  One of the points of the books is that
the characters don't have solutions to the problems facing their world and
need to try to find and create them, rather than turning to an authority
(either lords or gods).  The theme would be rather contradicted if the
author then presented solutions to the readers, whether through the medium
of the characters, or directly.