Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 05:27:22 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

The thing is, the only way we can study criminals is by looking at the ones
who are caught---who are, most likely, the bottom of the barrel, on the
average.  I once did, for my own amusement, a list of rules I would follow
if I were to take up a life of crime, and IMNSHO following those rules
would greatly reduce the chance of getting caught (time and chance happen
to us all).

Gwynne: When they catch criminals I'm often surprised, and depressed, at
the pointlessness of it all. Someone who's quietly defrauded a company, or
the welfare system, for years - but spends money on big holidays and posts
about it on social media. Gets plastic surgery and buys expensive handbags.
Or just gambles it away. Pointless, and so easily caught.

If I were going to siphon off some serious money, I'd do it quietly and use that
money to build up my own business or investment empire; I'd make sure I
became independently wealthy, or at least comfortable, and then stop taking
more. And I'd set enough aside so that I could repay my original ...er.. borrowings
if necessary.