[LMB] veering OT: crime and prevention, was Re: Is Barr a rapist? or I'm misunderstanding beguilement?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 05:45:16 BST 2019

From: Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>

> On Aug 8, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Good locks make the lazy criminal pick somewhere with cheap locks.  No
> security is impossible to beat, it's just a matter of raising the
> inconvenience level and reducing the payoff.

That's how we feel about having dogs.  It's not that our people-loving retrievers would actually be a problem for burglars, but the deep barking is likely to deter them from targeting our house when there are plenty more around.
Katherine

Gwynne: We used to have a beagle; they're wonderful fairly small dogs,
but energetic (and that is a VAST understatement.)  I'd walk the beagle
nearly every day, long long walks on some waste ground behind our house.
One day a neighbour dropped a gentle criticism; I always walked the
small dog, but she never saw us walking our big dog. You know, the one
she'd hear barking now and then.

We didn't have a big dog. We had a hyperactive beagle. When anyone
rang the doorbell the dog would bark INSANELY, which in the small
front entry hall echoed and magnified the sound. He'd hit the wooden
door at (human) head height, then we'd have to drag him out as his
claws scrabbled on the tiles, shove him into the next room and slam the
door, and THEN answer the front door.

Often by then the JW or door to door salesman was heading down the front
steps.

Btw, he wasn't vicious at all, he just loved the excitement.