Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 05:56:28 BST 2019

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46 PM Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:
> That's one thing I felt was not well-resolved in _Horizon_ -- that
> point about the ethics of suggestion.  To be sure, the clerk was
> being (mostly) needlessly obstructive.  But Fawn spotted that there
> were issues, and then the question ... just doesn't get brought up
> again.  Though there is the discussion with Callie about the ethics
> of _her_ attempt, but it doesn't really resolve the issue.
> It's still a latent issue waiting for a story of its own, I suppose.

Gwynne: That's one of the most important moments in the books. And it tells
us a great deal about us as well as the characters.

Is it ok that Dag violated one of his own rules for a good cause? And
where do we/they draw the line? Do we feel happy that Whit and Berry
were able to marry - and does that mean we're not much better than Barr
the lout? How good is Dag as a leader/teacher when he throws his own
standards out the door for what is, actually, a relatively minor reason;
postponing the wedding would be disappointing, but hardly cataclysmic.

After all the difficult decisions and challenging situations, after we watched
Dag build a whole new worldview and admired his ethics, how do we deal
with him throwing it all away in a moment?

And how far can we really trust any Lakewalkers, when a little push will
get them anything they want? How can we blame Barr for his attitude
and behaviour as a young lout, when that predatory attitude is the norm?