[LMB] OT: Cough Drop Bears

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 9 08:23:15 BST 2019

From: "M. Haller Yamada" <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>

Have you seen the Australian Museum?s distribution map for Drop Bears? Don?t go near these places without you Vick?s to distract them.. (Or Walgreen?s or whatever)

Micki: LOL, you know, the museum says that there's no evidence that their suggested
repellants (forks in hair, toothpaste behind ears) work, but . . . I notice that there's?
no evidence that they don't work. Vick's behind my ears might be an attractant. (In
the US, at least, Vick's Vaporub is a eucalyptus and/or camphor based rub for?
chest congestion and is used as a folk remedy for ear aches -- just in case I'm?
misreading you, and Vick's is also the name of an Australian pharmacy.)?

Gwynne: Vick's Vaporub is the same here, not a pharmacy. I'm not sure how much
eucalyptus is used overseas, but it pops up in plenty of things here. Floor cleaners,
fresh air sprays, scented tissues (the eucalyptus tissues are great when you have a
cold.) Mum uses eucalyptus oil as a stain remover - it does a very good job (put it on
the back of the fabric).

Remember as kids when we'd have a home-made Vicks inhalant for a bad cold? Put
some Vicks in a tin with hot water, lean over the fumes and put a towel over your
head to keep the fumes in. It sure cleared the sinuses.