[LMB] OT: name changing

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Aug 9 14:17:23 BST 2019

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 2:35 AM, James M. BRYANT G4CLF <james at jbryant.eu> wrote:
>
> In England in the 1920s forms often asked if you had changed
> your name (excluding Jews from golf clubs persisted as a common,
> and explicit, practice until the fifties and even the sixties).

In Isaac Asimov’s autobiography, he mentioned how Brooklyn Jews recommended to his parents that they change his name to an English name.

People changed their names from Jewish names such as “David” to English names such as “Bernie” and “Sidney”.

Of course there was a U.S. president named “Abraham”.

I like the guy who had his last name changed to “Foist”.    He was adamant.    After the change, the judge took him aside to find out why.   The guy explained, in a strong Brooklyn accent that in the old country, his name was “Primera”...